Birchwood Cottages is located just a five-minute walk from the Te Anau town centre.
Birchwood Cottages provides ready access to all the amenities of the town and the beauty of Lake Te Anau. Te Anau is an ideal base for your exploration of the amazing Fiordland region.
As you enter Te Anau on State Highway:
Come straight on down via Luxmore Drive which will take a sweeping bend to your right on to Milford road. Watch out for the “Birchwood Cottages” sign at 208 Milford Road.
Coming from Queenstown?
Here are some helpful instructions for driving yourself:
- From the airport take a right turn at the first roundabout and a left at the second roundabout. This puts you on the main road to Te Anau..
- 10 mins on you will be close to Lake Wakatipu. Keep your eyes on the road as the next 10 minutes is aptly called the devils staircase.
- Once negotiated 10 mins will have you passing Kingston which is at the south end of the lake. A stop for fuel (card only) if required.
- 10 minutes further on is Garston. This is your best chance for a toilet stop if you are planning to not stop at one of my recommended cafes further along the way.
- The toilet is on your left opposite the tavern/hotel. Take a photo of the post office. It is the smallest operating one in the world!
- Just 5 – 7 minutes will have you in Athol. There is 2 cafes there. I always go to the lazy bones for a wonderful cheese and onion toasted roll (legendary) and tea/coffee.
- 10 mins to the next turn to the right at Five Rivers. Wonderful cafe there if you haven’t taken the one at Athol (probably the best)
- Another 10 mins will have you in Mossburn where there is a right turn that puts you on the main highway to Te Anau. The is an attended fuel station there if required.
- Just 65 kilometres on to Te Anau. Come straight on down via Luxmore Drive which will take a sweeping bend to your right on to Milford road. Watch out for the “Birchwood Cottages” sign at 208 Milford Road.
- We hope you have enjoyed your road trip to our beautiful part of New Zealand.